Beginning January 1, 2022, the IRS regulations have been updated to require 1099-Ks when a gross amount of total reportable payments exceeds $600 in a calendar year.
To ensure you receive your 1099-k for the 2022 tax year, we have partnered with our third-party payment processor, Stripe, to ensure that your tax information is up-to-date and verified.
What steps do I need to take to verify my tax information?
- Within the next two weeks, you will receive an email from our third-party payment processor, Stripe, with a link to create a Stripe account and confirm that your tax information is up-to-date.
- By the end of 2022, you will also receive an email from Zillow to let you know that your Zillow Rental Manager profile is available to update.
- Once your Zillow Rental Manager profile is ready to update, an orange banner will appear under the "Payments" section of your dashboard. If you do not see the orange banner, your profile is not ready to update.
What tax information needs to be verified?
- Landlords collecting rent as a business entity must update their information to include their business name, address, and tax identification number (TIN).
- Landlords collecting rent as an individual must also re-verify their name, date of birth, address, and social security number (SSN).
I see the orange banner on my dashboard. What do I do now?
Once you receive an email from Zillow and the orange banner, like the one below, appears on your dashboard, you will follow the steps below to verify or re-verify your account information.
1. You will Log into Zillow Rental Manager and navigate to the payment dashboard found under the 'Manage tenants' section on a property.
2. On the payment dashboard, select the ‘Add Info’ button in the orange banner displayed at the top of your screen.
3. Select if you are collecting rent payments as “an individual” or “a business”.
4. If Stripe can verify the individual or business successfully, based on the information provided, you're all set! You will be redirected back to your rent payment dashboard and should see a green banner that says “Thank you. Your account has been verified”.
- If you are collecting rent as an individual, you will need to enter your name, date of birth, address, and full social security number.
- If you are collecting rent as a business entity, you will need to enter the business name, address, and EIN.
5. If Stripe needs further verification information, a pop-up will appear. Select “Add verification”.
6. All landlords will have the opportunity to go through the verification process twice. If the second attempt is unsuccessful, you will be redirected to your rent payment dashboard and prompted to contact customer support for assistance.
How do I contact Zillow Rental Support team?